Monday, May 5, 2008

A rose by any other name....




Okay...I just have to get this out of the way. Most people call this artform "Eraser Carving" and I use that same term just because that is what most people call it. I guess it does not matter what you call it. Erasercuts would be more accurate if you think of them in terms of Linocuts or Woodcuts. Both of these are terms used for relief printing. Somewhere along the way carving came into play. Way back there in history I believe. The photos above are true eraser carvings!


I wish there was a more precise term for this printing method. Most of us no longer even use erasers to cut and print with. We use a soft polymer material. Some people have used the term soft block carving. Somehow soft block cutting just does not quite sound right. So...I think we are just going to keep that name intact over most of time. Even though it really isn't eraser carving I think that is what most of us are going to call it.


That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet...



Carve on!

No comments: