Saturday, May 3, 2008

My first carving...



After going to the Rubber Stamp Gallery and purchasing my first copy of Rubberstampmadness I just had to try this. I went home and looked around on my desk and found an eraser. I grabbed an x-acto knife and a pen. I drew out an image and went to work.

I did it all wrong. Some of you may have never tried cutting stamps with a knife blade. I think the vast majority of eraser carvers use linoleum cutters and the like. I like using both. In the future I will talk more about tools but today I just want to say don't cut your stamps this way. The material under your stamp should slope away from the printing surface...not under it! This is called undercutting and it will weaken your stamp and make for a bad impression. My poor face lost its upper lip soon after it was cut. But it still stamps after 18 years!

No comments: